Asus has started to roll out the Android Pie update for its devices. The Asus ZenFone 5 is the first to turn. Worldwide, users report that the update has become available.
Asus ZenFone 5 gets Pie
The update to Android 9 Pie for the Asus ZenFone 5 is a fact. Asus is quick to update, because it was previously stated that the update would be available in early 2019. The new software update is currently only available for the ZenFone 5 with model number ZE-620KL, which is also the version that is sold in the Netherlands.
The update has a size of 1.12GB and OTA will soon be rolled out. So you can expect a notification on your phone soon that the update can be downloaded. If you do not want to wait any longer, you can get started with the official update file, which you can put on your SD card. The ZIP is put on the memory card, you switch the device on again with the volume-down + power-button pressed down, select ‘Apply update from microSD’ and select the corresponding file. This does not require a reset to the factory settings, but we recommend that you only do this if you are sure what you are doing.
The file with the update file can be downloaded here as ZIP. The OTA update via the device itself is expected soon. For some users, it became available when ‘manual check for updates’ was tapped several times. For the ZenFone 5Z the update is expected in January.
What is custom ROM?
ROM is short for Read-Only Memory. It has many versions just like Windows OS does; no matter it is stock ROMs from companies, or custom ROM from third party. This new custom ROM can bring you the latest version of Android before your manufacturer. Anyhow, flashing a new ROM means installing a new operating system to your Android.
The new Android 12 comes with many new features :
- Android 12 helps minimize background activity in the apps you use least, it's the super power you can't even see.
- With your permission, Autofill remembers your logins to get you into your favorite apps at supersonic speed.
- Picture-in-Picture allows you to see two apps at once, it's like having super strength and laser vision.
- Notification Dots: Press the notification dots to quickly see what's new, and easily clear them by swiping away.
- Android Instant Apps: Teleport directly into new apps right from your browser, no installation needed.
- Google Play Protect: Working to keep your device and data safe from misbehaving apps by scanning over 50 billion apps per day, even the ones you haven't installed yet!
- Whether you're talking, playing, working or streaming, you can feel confident about keeping your battery strong and full of life.
- Share the feels with a fully redesigned emoji set, including over 60 new emoji.
- Better RAM Management.
- It has a faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience.
- OpenGL ES 3.1 and Android extension pack brings Android to the forefront of mobile graphics putting it on par with desktop and console class performance.
- Responsive, natural motion, realistic lighting and shadows, and familiar visual elements make it easier to navigate your device.
- New devices come with encryption automatically turned on to help protect data on lost or stolen devices.
- State of the art video technology with support for HEVC main profile to allow for UHD 4K 10-bit video playback, tunneled hardware video decoding to save power and improved HLS support for streaming.
- and other cool features.
Note: If there is more than one download option, that likely means that you need to download and install the Bug Fix Update for your smartphone or tablet device before you can actually update to Android 12.
Step 1:Before you go trying to update your device, you should check which version of Android you are running. You might already be on the latest version. It's easy to check so follow this guide up to step four. This screen will have a section called 'Android version'. If it doesn't, click 'Software information' to find out.
Step 2:Scroll down the Settings menu and click on 'About Phone' or 'About Tablet'. If you have a tabbed settings menu then this will appear in the 'general' section.
Refer to Android developer page to choose which version of Android your phone or tablet is running. I.e, 4.0.4 corresponds to Ice Cream Sandwich, an old version of Android that was released in 2013.
Step 3:Note: Your phone or tablet may require a Wi-Fi connection to search for an update. We suggest you to download the software Droid Over Wi-Fi because the file size can be large.
Choose and click the "Software Update" option. Next it will search available update for your phone or tablet. If update is available, you will be asked if you want to install it. Select "yes" and it will install the new operating system in your device. If you want to install it later, you can download the Android 12 file first. Download Android 12.zip