It took a long time, but this quarter LG is releasing an Android Pie update for its most important devices. In Europe, various smartphones will most likely be updated to the latest version of the mobile operating system.
LG Android Pie updates are coming this month
The South Korean manufacturer has published a list of smartphones that are being updated to Android 9.0 (Pie). Although no precise order and release dates of updates are given on the list, it is certain that the phones will get Pie this quarter. That would mean that the updates will be released by LG by the end of June.
This concerns the LG V30, V30S, V35 ThinQ and V40 ThinQ. The manufacturer previously released an Android Pie update for the G7 ThinQ, but it only appeared in South Korea. In the Netherlands, users now wait a few months for the update. The LG V40 ThinQ runs since the release in February on the older Android 8.1 (Oreo), while Google had released the Pie update months earlier.
LG is quite slow in releasing updates and only occasionally comes up with smaller security patches for its devices. The company opened a new division last year to provide faster Android updates, but there is little to see about this for now. Many other manufacturers, such as Samsung, Nokia and OnePlus, have now upgraded their top devices to Pie, leaving LG far behind.
The newest smartphone from LG, the G8 ThinQ, runs out of the box on Android 9.0 (Pie), but is not yet in stores. Moreover, it is unclear when the release will take place. In our preview of the LG G8 ThinQ you can read more about the upcoming flagship.
What is custom ROM?
ROM is short for Read-Only Memory. It has many versions just like Windows OS does; no matter it is stock ROMs from companies, or custom ROM from third party. This new custom ROM can bring you the latest version of Android before your manufacturer. Anyhow, flashing a new ROM means installing a new operating system to your Android.
The new Android 12 comes with many new features :
- Android 12 helps minimize background activity in the apps you use least, it's the super power you can't even see.
- With your permission, Autofill remembers your logins to get you into your favorite apps at supersonic speed.
- Picture-in-Picture allows you to see two apps at once, it's like having super strength and laser vision.
- Notification Dots: Press the notification dots to quickly see what's new, and easily clear them by swiping away.
- Android Instant Apps: Teleport directly into new apps right from your browser, no installation needed.
- Google Play Protect: Working to keep your device and data safe from misbehaving apps by scanning over 50 billion apps per day, even the ones you haven't installed yet!
- Whether you're talking, playing, working or streaming, you can feel confident about keeping your battery strong and full of life.
- Share the feels with a fully redesigned emoji set, including over 60 new emoji.
- Better RAM Management.
- It has a faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience.
- OpenGL ES 3.1 and Android extension pack brings Android to the forefront of mobile graphics putting it on par with desktop and console class performance.
- Responsive, natural motion, realistic lighting and shadows, and familiar visual elements make it easier to navigate your device.
- New devices come with encryption automatically turned on to help protect data on lost or stolen devices.
- State of the art video technology with support for HEVC main profile to allow for UHD 4K 10-bit video playback, tunneled hardware video decoding to save power and improved HLS support for streaming.
- and other cool features.
Note: If there is more than one download option, that likely means that you need to download and install the Bug Fix Update for your smartphone or tablet device before you can actually update to Android 12.
Step 1:Before you go trying to update your device, you should check which version of Android you are running. You might already be on the latest version. It's easy to check so follow this guide up to step four. This screen will have a section called 'Android version'. If it doesn't, click 'Software information' to find out.
Step 2:Scroll down the Settings menu and click on 'About Phone' or 'About Tablet'. If you have a tabbed settings menu then this will appear in the 'general' section.
Refer to Android developer page to choose which version of Android your phone or tablet is running. I.e, 4.0.4 corresponds to Ice Cream Sandwich, an old version of Android that was released in 2013.
Step 3:Note: Your phone or tablet may require a Wi-Fi connection to search for an update. We suggest you to download the software Droid Over Wi-Fi because the file size can be large.
Choose and click the "Software Update" option. Next it will search available update for your phone or tablet. If update is available, you will be asked if you want to install it. Select "yes" and it will install the new operating system in your device. If you want to install it later, you can download the Android 12 file first. Download Android 12.zip