A popular weather app that is preinstalled on many Alcatel telephones, takes large amounts of data and tries to register users to pay services.
That reports British security company Upstream Systems. This is Weather Forecast – World Weather Accurate Radar, a weather forecast app pre-installed on Alcatel phones. Fraud with the app would have stopped by means of an update released in November, writes The Wall Street Journal. However, the app would still send information such as e-mail addresses, geographical data and mobile identification numbers (IMEI, a code that identifies devices) to a server in China.
Ten million downloads and good reviews
The app is included with phones, and can also be downloaded from the Android Play Store, where it has around ten million downloads, and a 4.4 star review score. Many of the app’s activities therefore took place in the background, reports Upstream Systems in a report. The app, for example, tried to register people for paying services for porn and virtual reality in Brazil, Malaysia and Nigeria. She would also have opened pages in the background, with the necessary advertisements, to commit click fraud.
The software is published on the Play Store by mie-alcatel.support and appears to be official software of TCL. That Chinese company has the licenses in the hands of Alcatel and BlackBerry phones, and brings new models for those brands. On BlackBerry phones, however, the app would not be, because these phones use a different operating system.
What is custom ROM?
ROM is short for Read-Only Memory. It has many versions just like Windows OS does; no matter it is stock ROMs from companies, or custom ROM from third party. This new custom ROM can bring you the latest version of Android before your manufacturer. Anyhow, flashing a new ROM means installing a new operating system to your Android.
The new Android 12 comes with many new features :
- Android 12 helps minimize background activity in the apps you use least, it's the super power you can't even see.
- With your permission, Autofill remembers your logins to get you into your favorite apps at supersonic speed.
- Picture-in-Picture allows you to see two apps at once, it's like having super strength and laser vision.
- Notification Dots: Press the notification dots to quickly see what's new, and easily clear them by swiping away.
- Android Instant Apps: Teleport directly into new apps right from your browser, no installation needed.
- Google Play Protect: Working to keep your device and data safe from misbehaving apps by scanning over 50 billion apps per day, even the ones you haven't installed yet!
- Whether you're talking, playing, working or streaming, you can feel confident about keeping your battery strong and full of life.
- Share the feels with a fully redesigned emoji set, including over 60 new emoji.
- Better RAM Management.
- It has a faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience.
- OpenGL ES 3.1 and Android extension pack brings Android to the forefront of mobile graphics putting it on par with desktop and console class performance.
- Responsive, natural motion, realistic lighting and shadows, and familiar visual elements make it easier to navigate your device.
- New devices come with encryption automatically turned on to help protect data on lost or stolen devices.
- State of the art video technology with support for HEVC main profile to allow for UHD 4K 10-bit video playback, tunneled hardware video decoding to save power and improved HLS support for streaming.
- and other cool features.
Note: If there is more than one download option, that likely means that you need to download and install the Bug Fix Update for your smartphone or tablet device before you can actually update to Android 12.
Step 1:Before you go trying to update your device, you should check which version of Android you are running. You might already be on the latest version. It's easy to check so follow this guide up to step four. This screen will have a section called 'Android version'. If it doesn't, click 'Software information' to find out.
Step 2:Scroll down the Settings menu and click on 'About Phone' or 'About Tablet'. If you have a tabbed settings menu then this will appear in the 'general' section.
Refer to Android developer page to choose which version of Android your phone or tablet is running. I.e, 4.0.4 corresponds to Ice Cream Sandwich, an old version of Android that was released in 2013.
Step 3:Note: Your phone or tablet may require a Wi-Fi connection to search for an update. We suggest you to download the software Droid Over Wi-Fi because the file size can be large.
Choose and click the "Software Update" option. Next it will search available update for your phone or tablet. If update is available, you will be asked if you want to install it. Select "yes" and it will install the new operating system in your device. If you want to install it later, you can download the Android 12 file first. Download Android 12.zip